Making our house our home.

Wednesday, April 13, 2005

Someone should really start this business...

Tonight, I'm at home alone while Craig is at the Twins game with his judge and a few other guys. Sounds like they've got good seats close behind the plate. Twins tickets from work would be great, but all I'm hoping for right now is that the fan pumping cold air into my office would shut down. I should not be shivering in an angora sweater on a bright sunny April day.

I finally ate The Salmon that Would Not Go Away for dinner tonight. I had planned to make Lemon-Soy Grilled Salmon last Saturday. So I bought a big salmon plank and cut it into filets and froze them. Then on Saturday I thawed out four and started to marinate them. Then I decided I wanted pizza instead. So I froze them again in the marinade. Today I thawed them out again. I came very close to not eating them again, but decided that another freezing cycle would be one too many. It may have been one too many as it is. So if I'm violently ill tomorrow, you'll know why.

I made one of my rare ventures into the land of sewing this weekend and overhauled some plain tab top curtains from Target into cafe curtains for the kitchen. After pondering some patterns at the fabric store for a while, I decided that I'd be much better off altering something that someone else put together for me. I bought one valance and one package of "tier" curtains. I cut the valance in half - each half covers one of the windows in the kitchen. Each "tier" curtain got cut in half and hemmed to make the bottom curtains that can be drawn back if I want to open the window. I also shortened the tabs so that they didn't overwhelm everything.

Here's the finished product:



And here's the assembly. (I even look kind of surprised that I'm sewing in the picture.) With all the stuff spread out, I can only imagine what a disaster it would have been if I had been cutting out fabric as well.



My sewing machine used to belong to my Grandma Black - it's a Singer Slant-O-Matic Special, model year 1958. The instruction booklet has beautiful drawings of wasp-waisted women in heels with manicured nails exclaiming over their sewing machines. It does what I need it to, though.



We also added picture ledges that hold old family wedding photos to the living room. You can also see a bit of one of the red pillows I added to the couch. I contemplated sewing those, too, but the trajectory was the same - I thought about it, then just got them from Target. The women in the sewing machine manual disapprove, I'm sure.





We also received our television armoire. I'm kind of perturbed that I had to take vacation time to sit and wait at home for this to be delivered. Someone should really start a business that contracts with furniture stores to deliver big items after normal business hours. So if you know anything about shipping logistics, there's an idea for you. I'm very happy to have this, though. It allows me to shut the doors on the tv, dvd player, and all that other electronic stuff while I pretend that I'm not just going to open them back up again to watch American Idol later tonight.



The opening does dwarf our television set. It's probably a conspiracy between the television manufacturers and entertainment center manufacturers to make everyone feel inadequate until they have a large television that fits in perfectly. But I'll remain strong - 19 inches is quite adequate for watching American Idol. In fact, it may be a little too much.



I also bought a curtain to cover our coat closet area. It's dark red corduroy and reminds me of a red curtain in a high school theater. There will be drama when you put your coat away!



I also did some shopping to get towels that matched the bathroom. I went to Linens 'N Things and bought a washcloth in every color of green that looked like it might possibly match. I took them home and looked at them with the paint, picked out one, and returned the rest to the store. The cashier was absolutely thrilled, I can assure you. I ended up with fluffy white "spa" bath towels and hand towels in a mossy green color. I am just crazy enough to try white bath towels - no more. I also got a couple of white enamel/chrome accessories that look nice with everything else.







And, yay! I figured out how to resize my photos on photobucket. No laughing, please. That is all.

No comments: