Making our house our home.

Sunday, April 03, 2005

April 3-4: Yard Work

We've had a week of nice temperatures, so we decided to start our yard work in earnest this weekend. We raked the yard to get thatched dead grass out of the way, trimmed back bushes, swapped the storm windows for the screens, washed windows, and laid down grass seed. And Craig discovered and moved a (very) dead squirrel that had been covered under a snowbank all winter. That all is enough for one weekend, even on a small lot.

I've heard it before, but I truly understand now how every project for a new homeowner necessitates a trip to Home Depot (and a call to your parents to find out just what the heck you're supposed to be looking for in a hose). The Home Depot list for this weekend (from two separate trips):
  • two rakes

  • shovel

  • hedge trimmers

  • garden gloves

  • grill ignitor

  • grill cleaner

  • 75' garden hose

  • hose sprayer attachment

  • big watering can

  • spading fork

  • 2 small bags "sun and shade" grass seed

  • 1 small bag "shady" grass seed

  • 1 large bag lawn fertilizer

  • handheld spreader for fertilizer and grass seed


Craig used the spading fork to loosen the dirt in a big bare patch in the front yard before spreading grass seed and fertilizer. He is also modeling the hose and sprayer as he wets it down.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

I cut back the bushes by the carport. I didn't take anything out, just trimmed everything back to a more manageable size. They appear to be some sort of berry bush - there were dried berries at the top of the stalks. The big pile of brush is just sitting there until I figure out St. Paul's procedures for getting rid of yard waste.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

I washed the windows and put the screens up. The screens were surpisingly easy to put up - they have two hooks at the top and one at the bottom that are hooked shut from the inside. We can hear the birds much better without the storm windows on.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Perhaps most importantly, Craig put our big grill back together with a new burner and ignitor. We really enjoyed having burgers on Saturday night. The first grilled meal of the spring tastes soooo good.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

3 comments:

George Thomas Kysor said...

Hope you don't mind that I linked to your blog in my "Sampler" blog.

Anonymous said...

Giday,

Just a quick note to say HI and I like your blog on April 3-4: Yard Work.

I've got a cool website of my own, http://bradfordmoore.com. There's stuff there on work at home careers. Why don't you drop by and pay me a visit sometime.

Seeya.
bradford

Anonymous said...

Great Blog you have here Blogger. This post on "April 3-4: Yard Work" is interesting. I've bookmarked your blog so I can come back latr and see how things are progressing.

Hey, I've got a site on work at home on internet. If you're interested come have a look sometime.

Peace,
Bradford
http://bradfordmoore.com